Monday, November 24, 2014

It's a wee bit hot down here

Hola people! Sounds like ya´ll are doing well. And Happy Thanksgiving this week! I think my district is going to try and make a slight Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. So that should be fun. St. George sounded pretty fun! I´ll bet it´s nowhere near as hot as it is here. Luckily we´ve been blessed with couple cloudy/windy days this week. I found out today though what kind of tempertatures I can expect in January and February. 45 degrees Celsius, or like 113 FLIPPIN DEGREES FAHRENHEIT! Luckily it´s not humid here. I almost died yesterday though, it was pretty hot yesterday and we had lunch at a member´s house, and I was really surprised when she served us soup! So that was fun. 

So, to answer mom´s many questions: First of all, mom, we´ve got 3 piano playing missionaries in the ward. We live with two other Elders in our pension. But me, Elder Stocks, and Elder Nelson all play the piano. And he´s been here longer than us. And the ward knows we play the piano. So I´m not sure if the crazy kid is the real reason, but we still use the boombox. 2nd question: we just read our emails at the internet cafe. Not really a printer here. But it´s fine with me. 3rd question: We do pretty much wash our clothes in a bucket. It´s a really big bucket, that also kind of rotates the clothes back and forth, but usually I just use my hands. Then I have to drain the soapy water and fill it up again like 2 or 3 times for the rinse cycle. But whatever. 4th question: We do have running water! And a hot water heater! Unfortunately the hot water heater has been known to make the water boiling lava hot! Like the first week here I was trying to use our beday (I think that´s how you spell it? and yes we do have a beday) but the beday like scalded my butthole. Now we have toilet paper.So there´s a laugh for you.  5th question: we have done quite a bit of service. We´ve been helping these members build a house right next to our pension! It´s kind of fun! And last question: I do think my language is improving. I came to a realization this week that I have improved significantly since the first week. I remember the first day I couldn´t even pick out words they were saying, but now sometimes I can get the gist of the conversation! If the spirit´s there. But I am getting way more words out of all the people we talk to. So wahoo!

This week was really good though! Unfortunately I´m already having knee pain, just in my left knee, that sometimes makes it difficult to walk at all. I think it´s probably very minor, nothing to really worry about. I´ve just been walking a lot.  I´ve been doing stretches and stuff to try and get it feeling better. But I´ve noticed that when I´m focused on serving other people I don´t notice it as much! So that´s cool. But we had a pretty successful week! We got something like 21 new investigators (the standards of excellence for new investigators in our mission is like 8) and 10 lessons with less actives. And we´re finally getting some progressing investigators. It´s really tricky to get second appointments with people because they´re never there when we try to show up. They´re totally willing to hear us again, but they´re just never there. But we did get some progressing investigators this week. So yeah! Good week in general.

Thanks for all the letters! I love you all!


Elder Bingham


 My second "asado!" Or in other words, Argentine barbecue! Apparently these don´t happen very often. This one we did with the district last p-day, but pretty much all they do is get the biggest hunk of cow meat you can find and throw it on the grill, and that´s all you eat! It´s super good, if the person grilling knows how to do it right. Which fortunately they have every time for me. I had like 3 pieces of meat about that big. And me and Elder Stocks are going to another one today! Wahoo!

This is my new distict! From left: Elder Breinholt, who apparently I´m going on an intercambio with tomorrow; Elder Lujan, from Bolivia, who is also new like me; Elder Hawes, from Utah; Elder Andrade, from Brazil, who also lives in our pension; Elder Stocks, my companion obviously; Elder Castro, our district leader; and Elder Nelson, from Idaho, who lives in our pension with us. And on a side note, all 5 of us gringos are also Virgin Lips! The Latinos are going crazy. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment